Friday 28 September 2007

We have arrived!

Hello everyone! I have finally got access to the internet! It is incredibly slow - but working none the less!

We spent the first few days in Abuja meeting the rest of the team and doing training. It was really good to get to know everyone - they are all such nice people! We even had a pool where we were staying, so we were very lucky as it was a fantastic way to cool down.

We arrived in Lafia yesterday adter a long, cramped and hot bus journey. I have my first experience of squatting for a wee in the Bush which isn't an experience I want to repeat! We arrived in Lafia which is a very poor place. It is very hard to describe the types of conditions we were wtinessing people living in. You will see by my pictures, but lets just say things are pretty bad for these people.

After arriving our host homes came to pick us up. My counterparts name is Diane and she is absolutely beautiful! She is so lovely and we are getting on great. Our host mum picked us up and she is great! We are to call her Mama. She is 61 and a very happy lady. She lives at home with her 2 children and 2 grandchildren who are 10 and 11 - and very cute!

I don't have time to write a lot as the server keeps crashing! So quickly I will say I am missing you all very much! The weather is rather unbearable and we are all constantly sweating. I think the clohes I have brought aren't suitable, but they will have to do. I am looking forward to starting work. I'll be working at a school and at something called Edu link which helps people with health issues, HIV and Aids awarenes, teaches people knitting and sewing (I'll need to learn first!!).

Sorry this entry seems a bit jumbled up, but time is short in the cafes over here but I will try and write another better entry soon.

Abi x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

1 comment:

Beti said...

Hi darling
I'm certain that you didn't expect life to be easy and experiencing this is what it's all about.I'm so delighted that you have this limited access. I love you and am really missing you but time is thankfully progressing swift. Lounge decoration slow but sure. So glad that your host family is nice, I hope they liked the gifts.
Take great care. Love Beti xxxxxx